THE ULTIMATE PACKING LIST
Want to make sure you have everything you need for your trip? Then follow our ultimate packing list below!
BUT FIRST, SOME IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT PACKING
- If it's available, I much prefer a large backpacker's backpack (such as this one from REI) to a suitcase. Much easier to travel with!
- Don't bring more than one bag. Trust me, you won't want to lug it around with you. Ideally you should bring a backpack and a small purse.
- DON'T PACK TOO MUCH! I repeat, DON'T DO IT! Pack the basics. Even the list I gave you below seemed a bit extensive afterwards. If worse comes to worse, you can buy whatever you need at your destination. Just remember that.
- Leave room for souvenirs in your bag! And that goes back to not packing too much...
OTHER IMPORTANT ITEMS
WHAT NOT TO PACK
- 2-3 pairs of leggings/comfortable pants – These will go perfect with any purchases you make, and will cover your knees (a MUST for females in most Asian countries). Men can wear shorts, even if they don't cover your knees.
- (LADIES ONLY) 3 bras - 1 wire bra (if you normally wear one), 1 cami style bra and 1 sports bra (2 is even better)
- 5-7 pairs of underwear – Make sure they’re comfortable and easy to air-dry.
- 4 pairs of socks - These are always nice to have, even if you don't plan on wearing a lot of closed toed shoes
- Jeans – If you usually wear jeans, you can bring a pair, but since we'll be so active it might not be the best idea.
- (LADIES ONLY) 1 large scarf – Make sure it covers your head well. This is a necessity if you plan to visit temples. It also helps protect your head from the heat. You can also purchase one from any store there.
- 1 waterproof windbreaker/raincoat – A light one will do.
- 1 fleece/coverup - This is ideal for your flight or chilly evenings.
- 5 shirts – Pack shirts that cover your shoulders and cleavage (ladies). If you are traveling to an Asian country, know that most of them are modest and you don’t want that kind of attention (trust me).
- (LADIES ONLY) 1 skirt AND 1 maxi dress – For events and evening gatherings. Make sure it covers your knees and shoulders (or use a scarf or light jacket to cover it)
- 1 pair of flip flops - to wear in your shower and room
- 1 pair of hiking shoes - Teva has got some great ones - make sure they cover your toes and have a good grip! Sandals would work too.
- 1 pair of flats or sandals - for your dressy moments.
- 2 in 1 Shampoo/Conditioner - I love this Shampoo bar from Lush because it's all natural AND it triples as a body wash, too! I used it on my 6 month journey to India and it lasted me 4-5 months (and smells amazing).
- Soap/Body Wash
- Brush and/or Comb
- (LADIES ONLY) Necessary makeup - but not too much, we aren't going to prom
- (LADIES ONLY) Hair Ties and bobby pins
- (LADIES ONLY) Pads/Tampons - These aren't common in some countries in Asia)
OTHER IMPORTANT ITEMS
- A money belt or pouch to keep your important items such as passport, money and visa info in
- A small shoulder purse, backpack or fanny pack is always nice to have, but can be purchased abroad for cheap!
- 1-2 empty plastic bags - for your dirty clothes and other unknown opportune times!
- Sunscreen - It ain't that cheap abroad, and it's worth it.
- Bug spray - Don't risk getting covered in bug bites.
- Camera (and maybe a memory stick)- An iPhone will do too.
- A book or eReader - We will be doing a great deal of traveling, so bring something to read!
- A journal and a pen - to track your journey!
- A head pillow for your flight. You have no idea how important this is to the quality of your sleep in-flight and while traveling. Go for quality for sure on this one. I bought a $30 pillow 3 years ago and still use it to this day on every trip! Make sure it's not the kind that feels like a bean bag or the kind that doesn't tie in the middle, those are cheap and not comfortable. Here is one I recommend.
- Headphones and some sort of music to listen to during your travels
- Eye mask for the flight and travels
- A couple of granola bars or snacks for when you're on the go or traveling
- All essential medicines and prescriptions you may need. But remember that medicine abroad is reliable and CHEAP, so don't bring your whole medicine cabinet. Just some essentials like allergy medicine, birth control, prescriptions, etc.
WHAT NOT TO PACK
- A laptop (trust me, you won't need it)
- Tanktops (unless you plan to cover them up)
- Shorts (ladies only)
- A winter coat (it will be too warm for this)
- Towels (we will provide them for you)
- Blankets (this is just silly!)
- Water bottles (we will provide you with unlimited water while there)
- A pillow (unless it's a travel one)
- Nail polish or unnecessary glamorous items.
- Too much!